The Black Holly II is a modified sloop built at Gideon Enterprise's Thayer's Rock shipyards in Rakore. The original Black Holly was lost during an assault on the Thayer's Rock shipyards by a green rik -- a colossal golem created during the Storm Wars. The rik succeeded in laying waste much of the shipyards, including the vessels docked there. The original Holly had seen a great deal of service during the War of the Undead, ferrying Gideon Enterprise's top security operatives (codenamed Firestorm) from place to place.
Working in concert with a gnome by the name of Faeradd Bunuckle, Thalst Wirebeard and the rest of the GE staff managed to design a new propulsion system that they called 'hydrofoils'. The foils stayed locked against the hull during normal operations, but when extra speed was needed (and sufficient wind was available), the foils could be extended down into the water to lift the shallow-draft sloop up out of the water -- achieving impossible speeds for a vessel of its size. The Holly II was also painted black with black-dyed sails for night operations, and outfitted with a number of minor magical items from Lok Magius, such as wands of wind wall and continual light spells in a deep red that are difficult to see at night.
Other, minor modifications have been made to the basic sloop hull, to include a larger foresail for tighter turns and better maneuvering at high speeds. The anchor is an innovative design, with emphasis on silence. Recently, a +1 shield was incorporated into the aft design, to protect the rudder-man from rearward fire.
1. Main Deck: The main deck sports the only cargo hatch. The four light ballistae are also kept here, two to port, and two starboard, in a stowed and tarped position. The foremast has a block-and-tackle crane for unloading larger cargos from belowdecks, but the majority of cargos do not require them. Admidships is located the slightly raised deck of the midship hold, located below-decks. Extreme aft is located the rudder -- an unusual design for a sloop, but necessitated by the hydrofoils.
2. Deck Cabin: The deck cabin only rises a few feet off the main deck, and is merely the raised roof of the below-decks midship hold.
3. Quarterdeck: Located amidships and slightly above the main deck, the quarterdeck serves as an ammunition storage area for the ballistae, and can carry two dinghies.
4. Chain Locker: Located on the cargo deck at the water line, the chain locker holds the chain for the port anchor. It also serves as the additional supplies locker, with extra sail cloth and materiel.
5. Foreward Hold: The primary cargo hold can store larger objects, and usually has a reinforced decking (AC 5, Hardness 5, HP 35). This is also the location of the forward hydrofoils. Engaging the foils is a full-round action per foil, and requires a Strength check (DC 14) to engage. The ship's galley and provisional lockers are located here.
6. Midships Hold: The middle hold, located amidships, also usually has a reinforced decking (AC 5, Hardness 5, HP 35), and serves as the ship's sleeping area, and communal place. A small table, additional provisional lockers, and permanently-mounted bunks four deep reside here.
7. Aft Hold: The aft hold is located aft, and serves as an additional provisionals locker. It's primary purpose is to house the aft hydrofoils. Engaging the foils is a full-round action per foil, and requires a Strength check (DC 14) to engage.
8. Cabin: The small cabin located aft, and along the waterline, has a small, permanently mounted bunk, and a number of storage closets. It serves as the ships arms locker, navigational references locker, and additional provisions area. From here, the extended rudder can be engaged for hydrofoil operations. Extending the rudder is a partial action, and requires a Strength check (DC 15) to engage.