Recap: Afternoon on the 22nd of Sad. Last time, the party went north to Takanal on a river sloop under Captain Thuldoon of The Frozen Bitch. In Takanal, they handed their remaining coffer off to a half-elf claiming to be from the Star's End monastery -- only he wasn't. Father Engrin let them know that the original representative from the Star's End had been a 'she', and she had mysteriously disappeared the night before their arrival on the morning of the 19th. Father Engrin and the monk from the Star's End had identified the items that the party had found. One of the items was of such power and interest to the monk from the Star's End, that Father Engrin had called in a few favors in Kashin, and had the Temple of Lul there research it. As such, the party has an open invitation from a Brother Estarban in Kashin, who wants to research the ring a bit more. After donating their reward to the Seven Sisters Inn, and concluding their other business in Takanal, they returned to Rilan near midnight of the same day. Early in the morning marks, they were attacked while they stayed at the Blue Tyven Inn. Six people -- one of them a water elven mage -- nearly did them in. After the party stalled their attackers (by going out the windows), and drew enough attention to the Blue Tyven from the Guard, their attackers retreated in an obscuring mist. They stayed the remainder of the night and the next day at the GE office with Lantheros, recouping their wounds. Over the course of the next day, after imbibing many healing potions, they set a trop to try and draw out their six attackers -- figuring that the six were after either the coffer that the party no longer had, or were after something else from the treasure they'd found near Takanal. The trap was successful, but only barely, as the same half-elf that had taken the coffer picked the ruby ring of Alibazcar off of them. They managed to track them south of the city to a small river barge getting ready to leave, and did battle with them. The battle was short, but viscious, and they barely made it out. They even lost Sivik, their tomanth companion, in the fighting. Though they cleaned up after the battle, they were left with more questions than answers, and returned to the GE office with their newly captured horses to rest and recuperate through the afternoon -- after a parting service for Sivik, at the Soul Smithy. While they were resting, a tall desert elf with lots of striped tattoos and a fellow wearing the colors of the Guard came up to talk with Lantheros.
- Later in the day, the desert elf with the tattoos returns to tell Lantheros, and the party, what he has found. (See Campaign V story…)
- A tomanth with dark, blood red scales approaches the group, and has heard about their actions with Sivik, and about their dependability and success. His name is Kivhass, and wishes the join them if at all possible. Kivhass is not a warrior, though he would like to learn to be one. As such, he is willing to work for a minimal fee, in exchange for knowledge. Part of his fees would include room and board when available, but he would be expected to perform as a workman, aid in battle, and general handyman for the group. He is an expert in leatherworking, and would be a valuable aboreal- or water-based scout. (See Kivhass page for stats.)
- Stovan Kemal, the Amaran stock dealer, has offered to hire the group for 15 diamonds (500GP ea), to serve as escorts aboard a very special ship from Nikala -- a voyage of two months, both ways. He hasn't specified the cargo, but it's Chre war horses, worth nearly 2,000GP each. He has several favors he can call in, that would have them on a sloop to Teras, and then a galleon to Nikala.
- The party was promised 200,000 SP by the Baron and the Bishop, in exchange for the emerald chalice, but delivery won't take place until the 3rd of Dasad at the Soul Smithy at Mount Rilan. Payment: 500 ducats each.
- Cutheros the Apothecary already had a buyer lined up and waiting for several rare and expensive dicalthal stones. Unfortunately, the ship was delayed in Kur Maeth, because dicalthal stones have arcane magic potential. If the party is willing, Cutheros would like them to go to Loregard, and then to Tent City, to parlay with the ogres for some -- and he may have something they'll trade. Cutheros will send along a +3 cursed battleaxe that he's been stuck with for a year, and a note from Brin Vridara authorizing its sale to the Ogre Nations. The mission is doubly vital, now that the sale of the dicalthal stones will help rebuild his apothecary.
- A rampaging rhino beetle should present the group with a helluva fight. Giant Beetle, Stag: CR 4; Size L (14ft long, 4 tonnes); HD 7d8+21; hp 52; Init +0; Spd 20 ft.; AC 19 -1 size, +10 natural); Attack +10 melee (4d6+9 bite, crit 20 x2); SA Trample 2d8+3; SV Fort +8, Ref +2, Will +2; AL N; Str 23, Dex 10, Con 17, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 9. Skills: Listen +8, Spot +7.
- Tomanth, CR 2; HD 1d8+4 (9hp); Init +2 (Dex); Spd 20ft, swim 50ft, aboreal 20ft; AC 18 (natural armor +4, Dex +2, leather armor +2); Attacks melee +2 (bite, 1d6+disease, crit 20 x2 -- 2 claws, 1d4+1 each, crit 20 x2); F/R 5x5/5; SA Tail Sweep, Disease; SQ Tomanth traits; SV Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +0; Str 13, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 8. Skills: Climb +1, Heal, Hide +3, Intuit Direction +2, Jump +1, Spot +4, Swim +5; Craft (leather goods +6). Feats: Alertness, Toughness. Tail Sweep (Ex): 1d6+1 f/ sweep, or Ref SV vs DC 13 or be knocked down. Disease (Ex): Fort SV vs DC 15, or -1 Con per day till treatment/death. Tomanth traits: +4 bonus to Will saves against illusions; darkvision up to 60 feet;-2 penalty to attack rolls with weapons held in one hand; -2 penalty to saves versus cold effects and spells.
- Kivhass is a blood tomanth -- with scales the color of dried blood, and a love of the ocean that borders on lust. Born on Vor the 3rd, 1325, he is but two and a half years old -- a young adult in Tomanth terms. He has an intuitive grasp of leatherworking, backed by five short months working with Ye Sival in Rilan as her apprentice. Ye Sival trained the tomanth because of his intuitive skill, and her joy of the art, but Kivhass feels he owes her considerably, and would like to repay her for her time and effort, if he can. Other than his apprenticeship, the tomanth's only experience is with the parts of the Galanus River between Mount Rilan and Teras.
- Because of the party's reputation with merchants, he starts out with a +1 loyalty base. The party having buried Sivik with what honors they could, at the Soul Smithy, gives Kivhass and all tomanths a +2 bonus to their loyalty.
- Possessions: leatherworking tools (45 sp), leather armor, 20 sp